Friday 30 January 2009

HENRY VI WATCHATHON

Today, I'm going to watch all three Henry VI plays on DVD with alex. The total running time is over nine hours. I shouldn't really be delaying such a marathon, but I have thus far been the poorest blogger in the flat.

Here's a nice tune by Lukid:



His new album, Foma, is full of fuzzy glitchy hip hop like this and I have been enjoying it a lot this week. Some of the tracks sound like they were recorded inside the air pump of a life support machine, with soft beeps and the shuffling footsteps of doctors and nurses in the background.

A while ago we played a game of categories where the category was 'girl's names in Beatles songs'. After giving up, I decided I wanted to know how many there were and find all of them, which is as good a topic for a blog post as anything. The song name is in brackets next to the girls name:

Julia (Julia)
Eleanor (Eleanor Rigby)
Anna (Anna (Go To Him))
Prudence (Dear Prudence)
Sadie (Sexy Sadie)
Lucy (Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds)
Rita (Lovely Rita)
Molly (Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da)
Martha (Martha my Dear)
Pam (Polythene Pam)
McGill, Lil, Nancy (Bungalow Bill)
Michelle (Michelle)
Lizzy (Dizzy Miss Lizzy)
Doris (Two of us)
Maggie (Maggie Mae)
Madonna (Lady Madonna)
Yoko (The Ballad of John and Yoko)
Sally (Long Tall Sally)
Georgia (Back in the U.S.S.R. (not sure about this one))
Joan, Rose, Valerie (Maxwell's Silver Hammer)
Penny (Penny Lane)
Pam (Mean Mr. Mustard)
Loretta (Get Back)
Vera (When I'm 64)

28 in total. If anyone can think of any that I've missed, tell me and I'll add it and give you a toblerone.

(thanks to Laura for Pam, Loretta, Vera, Rose and Valerie)

That's quite enough blogging for now. I'm going to watch 9 hours of history plays and eat some baked potatoes.

Robin

2 comments:

  1. You can't spell Eleanor. And I don't think you can have either Penny or Georgia. But I'm a killjoy.

    An afternoon of listening to the Beatles:
    Loretta (Get Back - I cracked and downloaded Let It Be)
    Rose and Valerie (Maxwell's Silver Hammer)
    Vera (When I'm 64)

    There was another one I thought of when I was cycling home but I have forgotten it. Doom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's good that you listed the most important one first.
    also i definitely got nearly all of those off the top of my head and basically dicked all over you when we were playing this- it was kind of embarrassing actually.
    there's also mary, as in 'mother mary came to me'
    and you can't really list 'pam' twice as those 2 songs run together and it's obviously the same pam in both

    ReplyDelete