Tuesday 10 February 2009

I am invincible

Worcester college has the nicest lake. I've seen it before and thought it'd be pretty wicked for a swim in the summer, but the thought didn't really cross my mind when I was trudging about in the snow after a punishing game of ring of fire at Ronan's this weekend.

Ronan's pal suggested we check to see if we could walk on the layer of ice covering the lake, and check I did, momentarily, before just putting my entire weight on it anyway and feeling it give way beneath me. I could even hear the crack that my first, tentative foot poke had made as I put both feet on, but by then it was too late. In the fraction of a second between realising I was going to fall into a huge frozen lake and falling into a huge frozen lake I reflected on my foolhardy nature.

I got out pretty quickly and we laughed about it for a bit then started to walk back to Ronan's. On the way we saw one of the porters at Worcester, who had been hassling us all night because Ronan didn't have a guest pass or some bullshit and we were making loads of noise and mess. Anyway, he started getting on to us about being out in the grounds, telling us that 'if someone fell in that Lake they'd be dead in about a minute', whilst failing to notice that I was soaking wet from the neck down and had obviously just fallen in the lake. Proved that wanker wrong - NOT dead. I did have to get a taxi home however, as by the time we got back to Ronan's my muscles were aching and I couldn't stop chattering my teeth.

This is probably my most noteworthy and therefore blogtastic exploit of the last week.

Robin

1 comment: